Mounting a pendant light fixture depends on the version of its design and the type of ceiling overlap.
Clear Concrete Ceiling
All lights are suspended on special hangers, which are fixed to the concrete with plastic dowels and screws.
A single light source with a plafond has one point of suspension. Track lights – two or more, depending on the length of the busway. Linear, office and LED panels – four identical fixtures.
The technology is the same for all fixtures. On the rough concrete slab is installed embedded platform of metal profile or wood. Its height is selected so that its lower plane was slightly above the surface of the stretched PVC film. Hangers are attached to the platform.
After the installation of the ceiling, the holes for mounting are marked and cut out on the canvas. Special heat-resistant rings are inserted into the holes.
Read also: Does Red Led Light Help You Sleep
The first method is identical to the one described above. The second method is suitable for single light fixtures of small weight (up to 2 kg). A hole is drilled in the drywall, into which a bow hook or bow bracket is inserted.
Sometimes hangers are screwed to the profile of the supporting frame with self-tapping screws. But this method is used quite rarely.
The luminaires are mounted similarly to item 1. The cables are passed through the cells of the ceiling slab.
Types of Ceilings With Which Suspended Luminaires are Used
- Concrete finished
- Gypsum plasterboard
Stages of Installation of Suspended Lighting Fixtures
Installation work is performed according to a simple algorithm:
- Planning the placement of light sources.
- Marking on the ceiling.
- Carrying out preparatory operations.
- Cutting technological holes and niches. Installation of embedded fasteners, mounting strips, profiles, etc.
- Fixing the hangers.
- Suspending lighting fixtures at the desired height.
- Installation of a circuit breaker in the switchboard, key switches, junction boxes.
- Electrical cabling.
- Making all connections according to the wiring diagram.
- Switching on lighting and checking its performance.
Scheme of Connecting the Lamps
Connecting the lamps is performed by a three-wire diagram (phase, neutral, ground) in the presence of a grounding loop in the room or by two-wire – in the absence of it.
Wiring Diagram for Pendant Luminaires
Electric cable is laid from the fuse box in the switchboard to the junction box. The phase wire is switched with a push-button switch. Phase and zero are connected to the L and N terminals on the power driver terminal block (or on the lamp terminal block), and ground – to the appropriate terminal on the body of the lighting fixture.
If there is more than one lighting fixture, the beam wiring is most often used. On the ceiling, determine a point equidistant from the lighting fixtures. At this point, install a junction box. From it, separate lengths of cable lines are laid to the suspended lighting fixtures.
Location of Communications
Cable communications network 220 V in homes and public buildings are very different. In offices, shopping and business centers with suspended ceilings such as Grillato and Armstrong electrical lighting system cables are brought above the ceiling overlap. When installing new luminaires, it is sufficient to lay cable sections from them to the nearest 220 volt junction box.
In apartments, everything is more complicated, because the typical scheme provides only one point of placement of a lighting fixture in the room with wiring connected to it. Therefore, if you increase the number of lighting fixtures, you will need to lay new communications. The cable is laid in a grommet (walls, finish ceiling), which is then hidden by putty and finishing. An alternative solution is to lay cable lines through a plastic cable duct.
In the ceiling space of the false ceiling cables are fixed to the rough slab with clamps, clips, etc. It is recommended to use electrical cable with a flame-retardant jacket.
- Before you start working on the electrical cable, you must turn off the circuit breaker and make sure there is no 220 volts on the wires with the indicator.
- Use a tool with insulated handles (plastic, rubber).
- It is required to check the serviceability and stability of the stepladder.
- It is useful to inspect the luminaire for mechanical defects and the serviceability of the electrical insulation.
- After completing the installation, it is recommended to check all connections with a multimeter for open and short circuits (between the conductive strands and each strand to the body).
Suspended lights should be placed at least 200 cm from the floor level. Otherwise, the space of the room will look overloaded, and the passage will be difficult. It is advisable to choose models with adjustable length of suspension system.
If new lighting fixtures are installed to replace old ones, it is necessary to check the reliability of contacts in the distribution boxes and the state of the existing wiring.