The children’s room is a place of games, laughter, and fun. Of course, parents want to make it as comfortable and pleasant as possible. Not the least important role in the matter of creating a cozy atmosphere is lighting. Often parents use a night light instead of or together with the main light. Do children need it or is it just a design element? Let’s find out.
Who Needs a Nightlight?
Newborn babies usually like darkness, they are accustomed to it. But parents light in the room just need: to see if the baby is not confused in a diaper, not rolled over whether it is dry. Low light allows you to check on the baby without the risk of disturbing his sleep. A night light also helps during night feedings. With it, the baby does not wake up completely and can be put down immediately after feeding.
After three or four months, a night light can be an element of the sleeping ritual. The baby focuses his attention on the diffused light, looks at the night light toy, gradually falling asleep. That’s why there are often models of baby mobiles with a built-in nightlight in addition to hanging toys. Children between 1.5 and 3 years old may already be afraid of the dark. They need a night light to create a comfortable environment in the room.
Types of Nightlights
Nightlights in the children’s room can be chosen by appearance, by type of LED or mounting, by functionality. What to choose? Let’s look at the most popular options.
- Night-light clothespins. This option is great for the smallest children. The clothespin is conveniently attached to the edge of the crib, runs on batteries. Maximum safe model.
- Nightlight projector. This is a relatively new model on the market. The projector shows a programmed picture on the ceiling or wall. Usually it is an image of the starry sky. You can meet such projectors, combined with baby mobiles over the crib. Or models in the form of toys with additional sound effects. It is worth noting that this option – not really a night light in the usual sense of the word. It gives a little light, it is unlikely to make sense to include it all night. Also, the device is ineffective to use at dusk.
- Night light toy. Such a device can work both from the network and from batteries. The variations in appearance – a variety, the child can choose to his liking. Gives a soft, diffused light. Install such a device for security purposes is better on the nightstand next to the bed.
- Night-light cover for a socket. The model is very popular because of the low price and a large variety of designs. Such nightlights give very little light, they are often placed as “beacons” in the apartment. During the day, the device can be left in the socket by turning off the power lever.
- Nightlight over the bed. You can say that this is a child’s version of the well-known to everyone sconces – a full-fledged lighting device. This model is perfectly suited for older kids. In the light of a night light, you can read, turn it on and off independently.
Selecting a Nightlight for a Child
- The age of the child. Your child probably already knows exactly what kind of night light he wants. If you are choosing a device for a newborn baby’s room, it is not so much the design as the functionality that matters.
- The place you are going to place it. You should clearly understand where exactly will stand / hang a night light. Is there a socket to power it? Is there enough space on your bedside table? Will you be able to drill a hole in the wall for mounting?
- Availability of smart features. Nightlights three in one (nightlight, projector, music) will no longer surprise anyone. But on the market, there are models that are curious about their technical capabilities. For example, nightlights with motion sensor, with remote / touch / gesture control, auto-off function. Which of these features will be convenient for you specifically?
About Benefits and Harms
It may seem that a night light is not a necessary item in a child’s room. But let’s look at the benefits of this lighting device: soft light gives comfort, helps the child fall asleep without fear of the dark. Dim light helps to navigate in the room. Reading a book in the light of a night light can be a wonderful nightly ritual. Different options nightlights help to solve many problems in the design of children’s rooms.
But we must not forget about the possible harm. Any light fixture is a source of potential danger. Models with power from the socket in this regard, you need to pay special attention. A light-switching plugs for the socket can attract the attention of the baby to the power grid. Most modern models of nightstands are made of plastic. Poor quality material when heated by a light bulb can release hazardous substances. Or break finely, if a child accidentally push a night light from a nightstand.
Separately, we should talk about the impact of a night light on sleep. Children get used to sleeping in the light and can be very sensitive to complete darkness, even as they get older. This in itself is already a problem. In addition, doctors have long since proven that humans need darkness for proper rest and maximum production of melatonin, the sleep hormone. The habit of sleeping in the light can cause poor sleep and well-being.